Thursday, May 1, 2008

"Eighteen" By Alice Cooper
I'm in the middle without any plans
I'm a boy and I'm a man

I'm eighteen
and I don't know what I want
Eighteen
I just don't know what I want
Eighteen
I gotta get away
I gotta get out of this place
I'll go runnin in outer space
Oh yeah

I got a
baby's brain and an old man's heart
Took eighteen years to get this far
Don't always know what I'm talkin' about
Feels like I'm livin in the middle of doubt
Cause I'm

Eighteen
I get confused every day
Eighteen
I just don't know what to say
Eighteen
I gotta get away

Lines form on my face and my hands
Lines form on the left and right
I'm in the middle
the middle of life
I'm a boy and I'm a man
I'm eighteen and I LIKE IT

I am eighteen
Is the artist reading my mind?
The great thing about this rock classic is that, it was true then it's true now.
Some may say that the adolescent years are the most confusing, middle school and what not, but it's clearly eighteen. Every aspect of your life has changed at this point, whether it be then with the war in vietnam, or now, with a whole new world called college.
This song describes an eighteen year old's feelings of confusion, torn between adolescence and adulthood. "I'm a boy and I'm a man."
It's true, I am. I am an adult by age, a legal adult off to college with the ability to run my own life as I want to, but I'm still a child in so many ways.
"I got a baby's brain and an old man's heart...took eighteen years to get this far"
My heart has experienced many things in these eighteen years, but even still my brain isn't wise. I still think like a child and it's hard to focus my adult resposibilities into my mind that's care-free, no worries of homework or tests; the mind of a child that just wants to have fun.
"i'm in the middle of life... I'm eighteen and I like it."
Even though eighteen may be a confusing time, it's the prime time! Everything you experience your first year of college, your confusion, your "adult status" combined with immature mentality; these things are what it's all about. This is a time where you can live as you please without being accountable for your actions. I love being eighteen.

1 comment:

Manda said...

I wish I didn't feel accountable for my actions, but I do.. I definitely do.